Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Banjo Equinox Summer


I'm finally learning how to play the banjo (clawhammer style).  I bought this old banjo at a garage sale a few summers ago and plunked around with it (bluegrass style) here and there.  I've never been a great picker even on my guitar, so I got discouraged.  Then earlier this spring I got the motivation to join another group of new banjo players inspired through Cold Antler Farm in what was being called the Banjo Equinox summer.  Every so often we need to post a video of ourselves playing a selected tune from Wayne Erbsen's book Clawhammer Banjo for the Complete Ignoramus.  So far we've made two posts and are gearing up for our third.  I've only been playing for a little over a month, and while I'm certainly no seasoned frailer, my banjo is actually sounding like a banjo.  I never thought this possible.  Wayne has a number of other books for Ignoramuses out there (you can find them here) and I highly recommend them for ANYONE who has ever wanted to learn to play a mountain music instrument.  And to prove my point, here's my last post:


So hop on over to Wayne's Native Ground site, pick your instrument, and get started!

4 comments:

  1. Not to shabby! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look out Bela Fleck, here comes Rachael Leonard!!! Good job! Ivan and Rie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! We've got a banjo that we've had for years, and I've never gotten past buying an instruction book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I could ever dream of being as good as Bela Fleck, but perhaps practiced enough at campfires and for fireflies.

    ReplyDelete