Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Arrival of the Baby Buns



She did it! Mrs. Buns is finally Mamma Buns, and we couldn't be more pleased. This is her second attempt at a successful kindling (giving birth to baby bunnies = kits). I think she's got it down now. We brought her in Sunday night and set up a cozy spot for her in the basement. We figured this would be the perfect spot - quiet, constant temperature (not too hot, not too cold), little disturbance. She almost immediately took to nesting. By Tuesday she had plucked her belly clean. Honestly, I knew that they plucked their own fiber for the nest, but never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that they actually plucked SO much! I was amazed! She lined herself a good nest and early this morning birthed six beautiful kits. By the time I got up, she had them all cleaned up and carefully divided in two little pouches of her nest. It was like waking up on Christmas day at the age of 9 (I got my first chinchilla then). I can't wait to watch them grow up.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! so much fun! We've had guinea pigs and really enjoyed watching the babies. Question: what is the orange and yellow candy cane-like thing in there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so much fun! I can't wait to watch them grow. The stripey thing is just a fold in the piece of fleece I covered the bottom of the cage yo cover the wire.

    ReplyDelete