Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Oh the Worm Bin...



Farewell to the worm bin. We will try again in the spring, but the miscellaneous bugs were getting out of control. We got infested with these super tiny little flies. I mean REALLY infested. I think there was more of them than there was dirt, and definitely more than there were worms. I'm not sure what exactly did it or where they came from. Initially we developed some fruit flies and these little black (smaller than knats) flies, but these were something completely different. They were even tinier than the knat-like flies. I've never seen anything like it. The only thing I can come up with was the addition of the rabbit poo. I saw on another YouTube post that worms love rabbit poo. And we found this to be true. Maybe the two are somehow connected? Any other vermiculturists out there? We tried all of the methods we could find to rid the bin of these unwelcome guests: burying the food scraps, laying newspaper over the top of the soil, and placing a jar to catch fruit flies. They really didn't work all that well. Guess I'll have to do some more research and try again in the spring. All I can think is that I missed something, somewhere.

It's been cold here! In the negatives. I don't remember winters this cold since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Today, however, we got a little bit of a reprieve. It was almost 30 degrees Fahrenheit. The chickens were happy to get out. It was so cute to see all their little feet prints in the snow around the farm. Heck, the ice even melted at the bottom of our stairs. I realize that we've still got some winter left, but I sure can't wait for spring flowers. I can almost smell them!

Baby buns are doing well. Feisty things! And curious to boot! Hercules (who I am pretty sure is a female) almost jumped out of the hutch tonight. Quite a feat. I believe their angora is coming in, and I will need to start combing them very soon. Oh I can't wait to spin their fiber! Mr. Buns (or maybe I should say Papa Buns) is in need of a pluckin' but I am hoping to get him to March before I harvest. It's just too cold to be so 'naked'.

Hope y'all are fairing the winter weather and staying warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment