Monday, January 17, 2011

House Sitting


I am house/pet sitting this week. Eight days and seven nights. I'm thankful that I can help out a friend like this, really I am, but I've come to the conclusion that this occupation is for single people, still living with parents or roommate and needing to get away. Or better put - I enjoyed this while younger and living with my parents and working as a vet tech, but not so much as I get older. It's hard when you have your own farm animals.

The animal count here is: 5 dogs, two pygmy goats, and thirty chickens. Boy these pups can bark! They feel it is their duty to inform me of every deer, bird, or other miscellany that comes close to the house. On one hand this makes me feel quite safe, but on the other hand, I have a splitting headache. For now, everyone is quiet and asleep in various places in the house. All is well. I'm sure the neighbors are thankful for this too.

One of the nice things about staying here is that there is a fireplace. Oh how I love a warm crackling fire. There are even special pine cones that are treated to give off blue flames. You can't really see them that well in the picture above, but they really were bright blue. I'm not sure what was put on them. Hopefully it wasn't something horrible for the environment, because I really enjoyed them.

The temperature has dropped into the teens the past couple of nights. It might have even been in the single digits last night. Tonight they are calling for icy precipitation. I suppose I would go for that over feet of snow. I'm sort of back in the woods, and massive amounts of snow would prevent my poor beetle from getting out to the highway. I don't think they are calling for that kind of snow this week. I'm thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment