Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Let's Talk About Chicks

Well the farm has doubled itself in the past month; doubled in chickens that is. I suppose God heard me cry for my three dead hens and gave me 16 chicks. We now have 2 roosters, 7 mature laying hens (three of those with chicks, which means they're not actually laying at the moment), 6 immature hens, and 10 peeps (growing like weeds). Grand total: 25! How would have thunk it? The chicks above are from the first clutch that hatched almost four weeks ago from my black silkie hen, Delilah. They grow fast and are much larger that this picture now. She actually hatched 8, but we lost two. Sad, but such is the circle of life.

And speaking of losses, Mrs. Buns had her litter and didn't know what to do with them. We lost them all; all five beautiful little babies. It was a very sad day and felt like such a loss. I realize that these things happen, but it's still hard. I'm pretty sure that this was her first litter. Though it doesn't make the loss any easier to know that. We'll try again here in a few weeks. I think she'll get it next time. The poor girl spent days sitting in her nest box after the birth; like she knew she was supposed to be there but just plain figured it out too late. She will be a little smarter next time, and I will too. I know now to check her frequently around her due date. We'll get another litter.

For now, we are content to watch the little chicks frolic in the barnyard. They are more entertaining than any TV show could ever be! I'm of the firm belief that everyone should own chickens. It should be like any of those other 'decessities' that we own: refrigerator, stove, computer, dishwasher (wait, we don't own a dishwasher!) They are quite the conversation piece as well. I called my sister back yesterday and all we could talk about was (you guessed it) our chickens. She and her family are also new chicken owner. They didn't even have their chicks a month before they upgraded their coop! That's what I'm talking about! It's addicting, folks. After awhile you're not just raising chickens for eggs or meat, you're a "collector". Those few chicks you raised just aren't enough, and you find yourself devising ways to add to your flock. It's an addiction! But don't worry, there are much worse addictions you could have.

1 comment:

  1. you're too cute. sorry for the loss, how sad. if i ever had a nice big house, yard, in a certain location i'd be picking you up to go collecting/hunting. probably safe that i don't and can't lol. hope to visit your happy farm someday soon.

    ReplyDelete