Sunday, May 30, 2010

Alpaca Shearing


"Don't we look nice with our new haircuts?"

Today was one of the big shearing days at Highland Alpaca. We were fortunate to be able to take part in the event, as the one thing we've been wanting was more interaction with the animals. We got it! Thirty two alpacas shorn in eight hours! We may be exhausted and sore, but happy to have gained this experience. Other than the owners of Highland, there were five of us plus the two shearers. We were hopping!

On deck to be shorn; wondering if he really wants any part of this.

Working well as a team helped things to move very smoothly. Below is an action shot. The goal in the operation is to make the shearing as quick and stress-free for the alpaca as possible. Perhaps "stress-less" would be a better term to use as the process is definitely not stress-free for them. While it is being shorn, the alpaca is stretched between ropes that are connected to their legs on two opposite ends. This isn't being cruel folks, but actually helps to calm the animal down while stretching the skin to make shearing quicker and safer. Because of all the helping hands present today, we were able to get one alpaca ready whilst another was being shorn. The less time on the mat, the less stress endured.


Most of the fleece will be sent to a mill be be processed into yarn or roving. But some of the blankets (around the chest and back of the alpaca) are shorn in one big piece, spread out, then wrapped up to be judged at a show.

Laying out the fleece, cut side up.

The first time we visited Highland Alpaca it was raining, and I don't think that we fully got the scope of the number of animals residing there. At least I know I didn't. Today I gained a much greater appreciation of all the hard work that Fay and Jenny, the owners of Highland, have put into building their farm. I can't wait to start my own. I don't think it will be long now. These animals have stolen my heart!

If you have never met an alpaca (or even if you have and want to see them again), Highland will be having an Open Barn Day on Saturday June 19th from 11am to 4pm. Come on out! I'll be there spinning. It's great fun for both adults and kids! Click here to get directions! Hope to see you there!

4 comments:

  1. first photo, the one right behind the chocolate one is just hilarious. i want it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gray with spots? I know, she's a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just watched an episode last night of Dirty Jobs where Mike Rowe visits an Alpaca ranch and did a bit of shearing. I can definitely see how you could want to get into raising them. I bet it was a fun experience.

    When I got to tend to Papas Bobwhite Quail for a month I thought to myself, yeah, I could totally get into doing this on a larger scale on a Homestead.

    I was at Barnes and Nobles a few days ago and nearly bought that book Made from Scratch. I opted for another book, but that's going to be one I pick up sometime soon.

    I'm not sure if I've told y'all or not but My Mom and Dad are talking about dividing up some of their property and give each of the kids, myself included, around 7 acres each. Man, what kinda blessing would that be!

    ReplyDelete