Sunday, February 28, 2010

New Addition

Today started as a pretty typical day: Sleep in till 8:30; farm paths shoveled, coop cleaned, chickens and rabbits fed by 9:30; breakfast by 10am. By 10:30 we were headed off to a local Reptile Show in a neighboring town. My husband used to be big into the reptile scene and with all the support he gives me towards my farm dreams, I wanted to support his too! Not to mention, I've owned a few of my own. Boy were we in for a surprise!

I wasn't sure what to expect. I had imagined grandeur. He had described some of the events that he had been to before. As we drove to the location, a thought crossed my mined, "Hmm, small town...this could end up being a few breeders with a few dozen or so animals." It ended up being somewhere in between. I was actually quite impressed. There were a couple dozen breeders and a few hundred animals (or more, I'm guessing). We saw all sorts of different species of snakes, bearded dragons, tegus, even some tarantulas. We got to hold a couple of snakes that I found rather appealing, wondering if we would go home with one (not that we had gone to come home with anything....it was just an outing). Then I found the chameleons! I have always wanted a chameleon with their oven mit hands and googley eyes. They are really fascinating creatures. When my husband saw my eyes light up I think he decided then and there that he would get me one. He's good to me. And as you can see above, there he is! Cute little feller, isn't he? I know, I know...he's not a fiber animal, and I'm not quite sure how he fits into the 'farm', but he helps to satisfy that mothering instinct I have. It took a little trickery to get that shot. Although he seems pretty friendly, he is convinced that the camera will eat him and hisses at it like a cat! Now he just needs a name.

No comments:

Post a Comment