Thursday, April 15, 2010

Homesteading Books

Some people have asked about my homesteading book collection, so I wanted to post some of my favorites thus far. Not to mention I also love the magazines Mother Earth News, Urban Farm (a new one), and Mary Jane's Farm.



Made From Scratch by Jenna Woginrich was the first homesteading book I read. It was absolutely wonderful! This is a girl in her mid-20s that writes about her adventures and struggles as a beginner homesteader. It was so good, you'll want to read it again! It's light-hearted and funny, and gives those of us aspiring to grow our own little homestead the motivation to get started. It had just a little bit of everything, from chickens and bee keeping, to gardening and mountain music. And if you like her book, she keeps a blog about her life at Cold Antler Farm too!



The Backyard Homestead by Carleen Madigan is another 'Must Have'. Well written and wonderfully illustrated, this book is an easy read and reference that needs to adorn the shelves of present and future homesteaders alike. What I really liked about this book is the yard plans showing the reader how you can turn even a quarter acre (or less) into a thriving backyard of edible goodness. With our ever changing and seeming unstable economy, more and more people are looking for ways to produce at least some of the food they eat. It's encouraging to know that even small (dare I say 'tiny') properties can supply just that.



Finally, Contry Wisdom & Know-How: Everything You Need to Know to Live Off the Land from the editors of Storey Books. All I can say about this book is WOW! Talk about one heck of a reference. It's certainly not a 'read from cover to cover' book like Made From Scratch, but it is one of the best references I've seen yet. The book itself is the size of a newspaper and as thick as ten. Don't be mistaken, it's not a newspaper. It's definitely a book (though oddly enough the paper resembles that of a newspaper). It has EVERYTHING in it. Need to know how to skin a rabbit? This is your book. Canning, bread recipes, fort building? This is your book. It's a complete guide to living off the land and another must have for homesteaders.

So these are my top three. As I read more, I'll blog about them. If you've read any good ones, please pass them my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment