Monday, May 7, 2012

Perigee Moon


There's been so much going on this past five months, it's hard to know where to start.  I suppose the best place to begin is with the present and then continue to revisit the past until I've covered it all.  At least what I can remember.

This past Saturday was this year's Perigee Full Moon (aka. the Super Moon).  Did anyone get to see it?  The perigee moon is it's point in orbit where it is closest to the earth on it's elliptical travels.  This actually happens once a month, but doesn't always coincide with the full moon (which only happens once a year). Because it is closest to the earth, it appears much larger and brighter.  I have always had a fascination with the moon.  I stare at in amazed that there is this huge orb floating out in space, circling the earth, affecting the tides and perhaps all other life on earth.  After all, we are 70-ish percent water.  So I had my photographer husband outside taking pictures for me.  He doesn't yet have a telephoto lens, but I'd say his pictures still came out pretty good.


We finally got some rain today.  It's been hitting just about every place but on top of our little hill lately.  And we've desperately needed it.  I took a friend for a hike to Hell's Hollow on Saturday and can't think of a time that I've ever seen the creek so low.  This concerns me as this is supposed to be the rainiest time of year, and already the water table is low.  Those of us who rely on well water have to think about these things.  Even now it is thundering outside.  I'm very thankful for this.  Rain plus thunder, who could asks for more.  


We got our garden fenced this past Sunday.  Clearly you can see that it's not ready for planting.  But now that it's staked out we can begin preparing the mini plots inside, and keep the chickens out.  They were quite helpful in scattering the rabbit droppings, though.  Handy little birds, those chickens are.  Hopefully this rain will open up the soil a bit.  It was so dry.  And we've accumulated a great compost pile to mix in since last summer.  Here's a few other recent shots from the farm:

There's a few Jersey cows on the farm now!  

Found some Lemon Balm growing in a pot my mom gave me last summer!
Yay for Lemon Balm!!  What a nice surprise!

My new love...hanging my batik fabric out to dry on the line.
It looks so pretty blowing in the wind.  


And I'll end with the story of this little bird.  Yesterday I found her wandering around in the "seed row" where we scatter seed in the morning for the chickens.  I picked her up hoping that her mama and papa were somewhere close by, but no one came squawking.  I put her next to the garage in a grassy spot hoping she'd find a safe spot for the night, but fearing that she'd be.....er.....food for someone else.  This evening I went out to collect eggs with my husband, and who did I find in the seed pit?  This little girl.  I knelt down and she hopped up into my had chirping.  She then hopped right up my arm to my shoulder and started pecking my nose!  I think she thought maybe it was my "beak".  She stayed on my shoulder for a bit and then flew away.  She's not quite a competent flier yet, but I figured she flew well enough that I would just leave her be.  

Well as dark grew closer I went out to close up the chickens for the night.  I got them all in and accounted for (we just integrated our new spring chicks), closed the door and heard a peep at my feet.  Lo and behold, there she was looking up at me.  It was like she was saying, "what about me?"  She then began scurrying around the coop trying to find a way inside.  Finally I just scooped her up and took her in the coop.  I had a broody hen that I thought would keep her for the night.  She snuggled right into the hen's feathers, and the hen certainly didn't mind.  Those chickens would mother an alligator when they are broody.  I thought I would check on her once more before coming back in the house.  The hen was on a roost and the little sparrow had fallen off.  She was asleep in a corner, but I wanted a safer place for her.  So I put her in one of the least used nest boxes and surrounded her with a bit of hay.  She immediately fell back asleep.  I don't know what will become of her.  And I typically try to let Mother Nature take care of her own.  But there's something special about this little sparrow.  If she thinks she's a chicken, so be it.  That's all for now I suppose.  So I will bid you all a good night and head off to enjoy the thunder and rain.  

1 comment: