Sunday, July 11, 2010

Gardening, Grilling, and a Gorgeous Summer Day

(starting sunflower head)

The past couple of days have been gorgeous now that the heat wave has passed! The mornings are cooler, giving way to the mid-80s by afternoon. It's acceptable, I'll give it that. My perfect temperature is still anywhere between 60 and 75, but I'll take the mid-80s over pushing 100 any day.

The garden is coming along well. Much better than I would have ever thought. The sunflowers and corn are taller than me and already showing flower heads and silk (respectively). I'm very pleased. I have to admit, I was a bit intimidated by the thought of planting a garden this year. I remember helping my mom as a little girl in her garden, but many years went by without one. I inherited my mom's green thumb, but still have never planted my very own garden before. Sure, there's all sorts of science behind it, but it really can be as simple as popping a seed in the ground, watering it, and watching it grow. We've already reaped some of the harvest with fresh zucchini and cucumbers for dinner tonight. It might be small by comparison, but it's thriving despite the heat. Let me give you a closer tour...

(Sunflowers from outside the fence)

(Cucumbers, Zucchini, and yellow Zucchini Squash)

(overflowing tomatoes - hoping to can some)

(sweet potatoes)

(beets and other varieties of potatoes)

(cornsilk, folks!)

We also decided to move the compost pile closer to the garden for easier access and better lawn aesthetics. It was on a small hill just above the chicken coop. The chickens loved to dig through it, making a huge mess that I raked up each evening. The plot that our landlord left for our garden is slightly triangular and sloped. We used the bottom square for the garden and the top now holds our compost. I think it looks much better, and the chickens wasted no time in relocating it as well. No need to worry about their messes here.

(digging through the 'new' compost pile)

(sometimes the chickens get stuck in the garden fence)

(oh, and we finally broke down and bought a grill - that zucchini is from our garden!)

1 comment:

  1. that was such a neat post :) looking great around there you guys!

    ReplyDelete