Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Yarn Along


This is the first time I've participated in the Yarn Along, but one of my goals this summer (I've taken the summer off!) was to actually read a book; not just listen to it as an audiobook, as I so often do, but actually read it.  I even went so far as to (finally) get a library card to my local library just so I could borrow this book.

I saw this book recommended by SpiderWomanKnits in one of her Instagram photos.  I've only just begun reading, but from the cover's description, it is about a childless couple who moved from Pennsylvania to the wilds of Alaska.  Longing for a child of their own, they build a girl out of snow only to find that she magically turns into a "real" girl.  Here's the actual synopsis from the inside cover of the book:


I'm really looking forward to this book as there seem to be many parallels with my own life.


As for what I'm knitting: I'm working on a set of knitter's mittens or fingerless gloves.  But I'm knitting two at a time on the same needles and from the same center pull ball.



I've never done this before, but I always find that (since I'm usually making up the pattern as I go along) I forget what I've done on the first one, so the second is slightly different.


I figure that if I knit them at the same time, the pattern will be exactly the same.  I'm using some of my hand dyed, hand spun BFL that I had stashed away for such an occasion.

The summer has been pretty darn rainy so far.  On one hand, all the rain has been really good for my late planted garden (I didn't get it in until almost mid-June!).  My beans, squash, and zucchini are getting ready to bloom already!  On the other hand, everything is so incredibly wet and muddy.  I can say though, that when it's raining, I don't feel guilty about staying inside, reading a book, spinning, or sewing.  Those are things that are difficult for me to do when it's nice outside.  We had a pretty big storm this morning and then again this evening.  They were calling for flash flooding, and as you can see below, we got it.



Fortunately we live on top of the hill!  









4 comments:

  1. I love the yarn you are using for your fingerless gloves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathie! I was looking for color, so I just grabbed a bunch of different color pieces of roving and spun them all together. Random, but pretty!

      Delete
  2. That wool is fab! Clearly you've dyed it before plying - is that a pain? The variegation is beautiful, did you dye it in a skein or in separate lengths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dee! I did indeed dye it before spinning. I rarely dye the yarn first. I like to watch how the colors spin up together. I had dyed a bunch of rovings different colors then pulled off random pieces of each to spin up. And that's what I ended up with!

      Delete