Friday, July 15, 2011

The Buck Moon



Tonight's Buck moon rose to a chorus of coyote's out in the back pasture.  It couldn't have been a more perfect scenario.  As a matter of fact, I have never heard the coyotes so close, and so active before.  It was just as if they needed to make sure that the man in the moon felt welcome as he looked down over our hills.  In the background, the fireflies dashed to and fro lighting their little paths all over the sky and through some of the tall vegetation (including my garden).  It was picture perfect, really.  


The full moon goes by various names as it rises each month, and varies according to different peoples and traditions.  From what I have read, the Buck Moon dates back to the Native American peoples of the northern and eastern regions of North America.  It's reference it to the the new growth of velvety antlers poking out from the foreheads of the bucks this time of year.  We visited an animal sanctuary this past weekend which houses and cares for a small herd of reindeer.  I got to feel first hand what that wonderful velvet feels like and now have a better appreciation for the name of this month's full moon.  All I can say is that velvet is a wonderful texture to feel.  


It's nights like these that make me thankful that I live in the country and not the city.  I realize to each his own, but oh the wonderful sounds of nature.  It's peaceful.  And that's how it should be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment