Sunday, May 15, 2011

Reminiscence


Railroad tracks are always reminiscent of home.  Growing up, we lived a block away from the tracks that follow along route 6.  As a kid, I remember running as fast as our little legs would carry us up to meet the caboose.  During 'those days' the caboose man would throw candy to the kids he passed by.  It's been years since I've seen a caboose.  It wasn't just the caboose that I remember well; also the sound of train whistle as it passed.  While some may have found this sound disagreeable, it was comforting to me.  Strangely it was the night train that I liked to hear the most.  It came like clockwork, each night as I had just gone to bed.  Occasionally I hear the train that travels the tracks above.  But now we live at least 5 miles from it's closest crossing.

What do you find reminiscent of home or your childhood?

2 comments:

  1. We had tracks near our house too when I was growing up, and most of the cars carried sugar beets. We would often scour the tracks down to the end of the property (weren't allowed to go any farther), looking for railroad marbles. It was an extra treat if we could find one that wasn't broken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Rae - Sugar Beets! How unusual (to me). Most of what was and is still carried by our trains are coal or oil. Sugar beets are much better IMHO.

    ReplyDelete