Saturday, June 4, 2011

A Late Start

(one of last year's sunflowers)
We are finally getting our garden in.  Yes, it seems late.  It is late!  But with all this rain, traveling, company, and then stifling 95 degree days, planting has been nearly impossible.  Better late than never, I suppose.  My dad was down for a visit this week and brought us his Mantis tiller.  So we've spent the last 5 or so hours weeding, raking, tilling, and marking off our new beds.  I transplanted a few sunflowers that God must have planted, because I sure didn't.  They looked dreadful 15 minutes after their shuffle, but I have faith that they will spring back to life in a few days.  I did the same thing last year and they did just fine.  There were only 7 transplants, so I'm going to plant a few more sunflowers to keep them company.  I love watching sunflowers grow.  So big and tall.  There are three other beds that were plowed and mixed with compost today.  I'm not sure yet what will go in them.  I do know that I want Butternut Squash, Green and Yellow beans, and potatoes for sure.

It must have been a good time to break.  Both my husband and dog are completely out.  I suppose it's time to start thinking about dinner then.

No comments:

Post a Comment