Tuesday, November 30, 2010

R.I.P. Deliah

We lost Delilah yesterday to (we think) another hawk. Her poor little body was found last night. We first thought it was one of our rooster chicks, but found this morning that he was in the coop and she was not. Not that I wish to lose any of my silkies, but we have three roosters and only two hens; now one. Delilah was a wonderful girl. She was ridiculously broody, something silkie hens are well known for. She hatched and raised two clutches of eggs this year and was the best mom a chick could hope for. Each time she'd finally get them off on their own, she'd be right back in the box waiting for more eggs. She lived to be a momma hen and will be greatly missed.

This morning when I left for work I found a hawk standing over what was left of Delilah's feathers (we picked her up last night). I walked right up to it and could of picked it right up. Seems weird for a hawk to let someone get that close. We stood and stared at each other for a good long while before it finally flew up to the fence post only 5 feet away then up into a nearby tree when I told it to leave my chickens alone. Not that I think it'll listen. In September I had 12 silkies; I am now down to only 4. I guess they are just easy prey. I keep thinking that the hawks should have migrated by now. However, when I checked in my Peterson Field Guide there are still a few that are year-round residents. I hate to keep them all "cooped" up. They love to be out free-ranging, but don't want to lose anymore. Any suggestions??


No comments:

Post a Comment