Thursday, September 23, 2010

Summer's End


Summer was busy and flew past quickly like usual. The farm continues to change, if only subtly. We raised about 25 chicks, and here's what I learned:

Let Mother Nature do the work.
A broody hen is worth more than her tiny eggs.
Chicks in your basement are messy.
Chicks in your basement will raise your electric bill significantly.
Too many roosters, is too many roosters.
The color of your peep is not a good indicator of what it will look like when fully grown.
And lastly, let Mother Nature do the work!

My wool processing skills have jumped leaps and bounds this summer too. This does not mean that I am in any way, shape, or form what you would call a 'professional'. But it means that I now have the ability to process my fiber from start to finish; raw fleece to yarn; all on my own. I no longer need that middle man. My husband got me a carder for my birthday. That was the key ingredient. We then build a huge 4 foot by 8 foot drying table. I can wash and dry an entire fleece at one time. How wonderful! I even knit my very first pair of mittens from shetland sheep that I hand spun. It's a good feeling to know that you were able to produce an article of clothing all on your own. It means I'm one step closer to being more self-suffient. Even if it's only a small step.

The garden was a big success this summer. I was especially glad in that it was truly the first ever garden I've planted (I too find that hard to believe). We didn't get to can as much as we had liked, but we have pickles to last an entire year! They sure were plentiful. Though just about everything has died back out there, we still have a few little yellow squash hanging on along with an eggplant. Our crop included: organic corn, sunflowers, green peppers, jalapenos, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, many other potatoes, beets, cucumbers, yellow squash, and zucchini. It was a good year.

So now I bit summer a last farewell and welcome the fall equinox with a glad heart. It's been a hot one, and I'm ready for those cooler days and hillsides ablaze with color.

No comments:

Post a Comment